Here’s the change management secret you will need to know to be successful in managing change during significant enterprise transformations. It all boils down to WIIF (What’s in it for…). Yes, that’s it. Let’s dig in.
While there are a lot of change management theories and change management models and change management processes, the change management secret you must know is simple – individual motivation. The personal motivation starts with self but expands in concentric circles to encompass a broad swath of stakeholders.
Start with the self and expand the scope of the statement to extend beyond the individual.
In times of rapid change, experience could be your worst enemy.
– J. Paul Getty
The Anatomy of the Change Management Secret:
- What’s in it for ME?
- What’s in it for my TEAM?
- What’s in it for my COMPANY?
- What’s in it for my CUSTOMER?
- What’s in it for my COMMUNITY/COUNTRY/WORLD?
Even the most altruistic and noble causes and endeavors are also about self-interest, self-satisfaction, and self-actualization. Hence, framing a change management endeavor in these expanding circles will serve you well.
Change Management Offerings from our Partners:
While there are a lot of change management theories and change management models and change management processes, the change management secret you must know is simple – individual motivation.
Let’s take an example on how one might position an enterprise change management program involving re-engineering some customer service processes, and re-architecting the platform with a new customer service application.
- What’s in it for ME?: “You will be able to work with more customers with the new level of automation.”
- What’s in it for my TEAM? “The team will be more cohesive and be able to collaborate seamlessly.”
- What’s in it for my COMPANY? “Improving customer service and experience will increase our retention rate and expand the share of the customer wallet.”
- What’s in it for my CUSTOMER? “Customers will be able to interact with us using any channel and at any time to interact and transact with us and have clear visibility to the status of their requests.”
- What’s in it for my COMMUNITY/COUNTRY/WORLD? “After successful completion, we are going to be able to hire 15 additional customer service agents in your community.”
There you have it. The framing of a change management program that appeals to the individual at multiple levels. Of course, we are not saying enterprise transformation change management is all about framing. It is just a start. You still will have to have a change management plan, a change management process, the right set of people, engagement at all levels, and supporting technology to support your change management endeavors.
Now that you know the change management secret, please share it with others! And implement it in your next change program.
Products Related to Changement Management:
Related Change Management Insights and Advice: