Marketing Business Requirements, a CIOPages accelerator, is a comprehensive, industry-agnostic, multi-purpose business requirements list. The Marketing Business Requirements list is a starting point for any enterprise Marketing transformation, including detailed business requirements gathering and crafting a Vendor RFI/RFP.
What is Marketing Business Requirements?
- Marketing Business Requirements is a spreadsheet with a set of functionality and feature needs.
- The Business Requirements list is broken down into various Categories, subcategories (where necessary) and then the Business Requirements
What does it not include?
- The deliverable does not contain Technical, Architecture and Infrastructure Requirements
- Typical Vendor RFP questions such as Vendor profile, licensing information, etc. (CIOPages.com offers a separate Vendor RFP template as a separate deliverable.)
What are the Marketing Business Requirements?
Today, the Marketing function has become a strategic lever for many companies, particularly in light of the rising customer expectations, mobility, and omnichannel. Reinventing Marketing function and bringing it to the digital era has been the focus of many of the marketing transformation programs. Depending on the expansiveness of the Marketing transformation, it may span a change in operating model, re-engineering the underlying processes, restructuring of the marketing management services, and enhancing the marketing effectiveness. More often than not, the marketing management transformation includes re-platforming the Marketing systems. The marking technology revolution has been one of the most significant developments of the last decade.
The traditional approach to documenting Marketing business and functional requirements spans one or more of the following:
- Business analysts interview marketing and customer acquisition SMEs (subject matter experts) to gather business needs.
- Reverse engineer key requirements from existing systems.
- Conduct vendor evaluations to learn about the state of the art in Marketing software systems
- Analyze the voice of customer (internal marketing, sales, and other stakeholders) and glean insights into changes required and draft them into business requirements
Instead of weeks and months of efforts, the CIOPages.com Marketing Business Requirements can help jumpstart the requirements endeavor and accelerate time to value. The CIOPages.com Marketing BRD to allow marketing transformation project teams to customize the requirements to the needs of the enterprise.
As we mentioned, the business requirements span all critical functional areas of Marketing. The broad scope of Marketing Business Requirements List includes:
- Public Relations
- Social Media
What is the format of the Marketing Business Requirements?
Each of the requirements listed as “The system shall…” form.
If you need to translate them into Agile Stories in the well-known form: “As a ___________ , I want ___________, so that _____________ ”, it is easy to do reframe the requirements. Please do let us know if you need any help.
- As the Marketing Business Requirements is a digital product, there are absolutely NO Returns.
- Depending on your industry, the type of Marketing functions, processes and practices you follow, and the scope of your transformation, some of the requirements may not be relevant to you.
- If you are a consultant or a consulting company, there is a different pricing, license, and terms.
- Sold on an as-is basis and with no warranties.
- This sale does not include implementation help or support. If you need professional services assistance, please contact us.
- Please review our standard terms of service
Need Consulting or Advisory Services?
Are these really “Business Requirements”?
Indeed Marketing Business Requirements are REAL business requirements. Experienced consultants conceptualized and created the marketing requirements. The business requirements encompass all critical areas of Marketing and related functions.
How should we use Marketing Business Requirements?
More often than not, in every significant (and sometimes medium-sized) enterprise, a cross-functional team of business/technology/architecture teams spend countless hours in conference rooms trying to whiteboard and write business requirements from scratch. The more time they devote to core and standard needs, the more likely they will miss out on something unique and relevant to the firm. Instead, using CIOPages Marketing systems transformation business requirements, you can focus on what’s different and unique about your situation. That is, you can spend 90% of your time on the 10% of the requirements that matter. And only 10% of your time on the 90% of elements that are table stakes.
But, our Company is Unique – will it fit us?
Of course, you are unique but not as unique as a unicorn!
We understand and acknowledge each company is slightly different regarding some capabilities as well as how they work. However, while there may be divergence at the edges, there is a lot of convergence at the core of most firms. The differences may be in the relative emphasis on a few fundamental processes, and absence or presence of specific requirements and workflows based on your unique needs.
Last but not the least, we don’t expect our Marketing Systems Transformation – Business Requirements deliverable (or any other matrix/template, in fact) to fit you 100%. We hope you to take this set of the needs as a straw model or a base set of requirements, and use it as a springboard to achieve the level customization and specificity in business requirements you desire.
If you need professional services help to tailor the requirements to your needs and capture your firm’s unique essence, we can help. Contact Us for Advisory Service details.
But, we have a Business Requirements Matrix already?
Well, in that case, either you can go with it, or if you need to validate and cross-reference, you will still find our business requirements matrix valuable. After all, the price is less than the one-hour of time spent on the combined brainpower assembled in the room.
What is my ROI?
The Value of Time Spent:
Typically, it takes a team of 5-7 associates to draft the set of business requirements.
- A Product Manager
- Business Analysts
- Marketing Functional Experts – 2 or 3 to represent the broad spectrum of areas.
You can multiply the average hourly cost of the team and the hours spent, and you’ll get the picture.
In addition to the time spent and the associated costs of drafting routine requirements, you also have to consider the opportunity cost.
By quickly adding/deleting/modifying the base set of requirements, it will allow you the luxury of spending the balance of your quality time in conceptualizing and crafting the unique and specific Business Requirements, which capture the core essence of your company and its Marketing practices, principles, and perspectives.
Of course, let’s not forget the “Day Job” each of the SMEs (subject matter experts) could be doing.
Instead of spending countless hours stretched across weeks or months, you can have a baseline of requirements in a couple of sittings. That helps you expedite and accelerate the transformation.