Marketing Business Requirements, a CIOPages accelerator, is a comprehensive, industry-agnostic, multi-purpose business requirements list for a marketing transformation. The Marketing Business Requirements list is customizable and extensible and can be a starting point for any enterprise marketing transformation. A comprehensive set of pre-crafted backlog items helps marketing teams accelerate the marketing transformation business requirements gathering efforts and expedite time to value.
What is a Marketing Business Requirements Matrix?
- Marketing Business Requirements is a spreadsheet with a detailed decomposition of functionality and feature needs for a typical enterprise marketing transformation program.
- The Marketing Business Requirements list is broken down into various categories, and subcategories (where necessary) and following by the actual business requirements
What does it not include?
- The business requirements for marketing deliverable does not contain Technical, Architecture and Infrastructure Requirements
- The marketing requirements list also does not include the typical Vendor RFP questions such as Vendor profile, licensing information, etc. (CIOPages.com offers a Vendor RFP template as a separate deliverable.)
What are the Marketing Transformation Requirements?
Today, the Marketing function has become a strategic lever for many companies, particularly in light of the rising customer expectations, the ubiquity of mobility, and omnichannel. Reinventing Marketing function and bringing it to the digital era has been the focus of many of the marketing transformation programs. Depending on the expansiveness and scope of the Marketing transformation, it may span a change in the operating model, re-engineering the underlying processes, restructuring of the marketing management services, and enhancing the marketing effectiveness. More often than not, the marketing management transformation includes re-platforming the marketing software systems. The marking technology revolution has been one of the most significant developments of the last decade.
The traditional approach to documenting marketing business and functional requirements spans one or more of the following to generate a BRD (Business Requirements document):
- Business analysts interview marketing SMEs (subject matter experts) to gather business needs and prepare a requirements matrix.
- Reverse engineer key marketing requirements from existing marketing applications and systems.
- Conduct demos and RFIs (Request for Information) with marketing software vendors to learn about the state-of-the-art in marketing software systems and then create a requirements list from the RFI/RFP answers.
- Analyze the voice of customer (internal marketing, sales, and other stakeholders) and glean insights into changes required and draft them into business requirements for marketing transformation.
Traditionally, the business requirements gathering efforts for marketing transformation takes several weeks or months of effort by project managers, business analysts, systems analysts and marketing SMEs.
Instead of weeks and months of efforts, the CIOPages.com Marketing Transformation Business Requirements can help jumpstart the requirements endeavor and accelerate time to value. The CIOPages.com Marketing BRD to allow marketing transformation project teams to customize the requirements to the needs of the enterprise.
As we mentioned, the marketing business requirements span all critical functional areas of Marketing. The broad scope of marketing business requirements list includes:
- Public Relations
- Social Media
What is the format of the Business Requirements for Marketing Transformation?
Each of the requirements listed as “The system shall…” form. The format is standard Waterfall methodology.
However, if you need to translate them into Agile Stories in the well-known form: “As a ___________ , I want ___________, so that _____________ ”, it is easy to do reframe the requirements. Please do let us know if you need any help in rewriting the traditional marketing business requirements into an agile story format. (Please note that the agile stories are NOT included in the current deliverable, but we can offer professional services help.)
- As the Marketing Business Requirements Matri is a digital product, there are absolutely NO Returns.
- Depending on your industry, the type of Marketing functions, processes and practices you follow, and the scope of your transformation, some of the requirements may not be relevant to you.
- If you are a consultant or a consulting company, there is different pricing, license, and terms.
- Sold on an as-is basis and with no warranties.
- This sale does not include implementation help or support. If you need professional services assistance, please contact us.
- Please review our standard terms of service
Need Consulting or Advisory Services?
Are these really “Business Requirements”?
Indeed Marketing Business Requirements are REAL business requirements. Experienced consultants conceptualized and created the marketing requirements. The business requirements for marketing encompass all critical areas of marketing and related functions.
How should we use Marketing Business Requirements?
More often than not, in every significant (and sometimes medium-sized) enterprise, a cross-functional team of business/technology/architecture teams spend countless hours in conference rooms trying to whiteboard and write business requirements from scratch. The more time they devote to the base and standard needs, the more likely they will miss out on something unique and relevant to the firm. Instead, using CIOPages Marketing systems transformation business requirements, you can focus on what’s different and unique about your situation. That is, you can spend 90% of your time on 10% of the requirements that matter. And only 10% of your time on the 90% of elements that are table stakes.
But, our Company is Unique – will the marketing requirements matrix fit us?
Of course, you are unique but not as unique as a unicorn!
We understand and acknowledge each company is slightly different regarding some capabilities as well as how they work. However, while there may be divergence at the edges, there is a lot of convergence at the core of most firms. The differences may be in the relative emphasis on a few fundamental processes, and the absence or presence of specific requirements and workflows based on your unique needs.
Last but not the least, we don’t expect our Marketing Systems Transformation – Business Requirements deliverable (or any other matrix/template, in fact) to fit you 100%. We hope you to take this set of the needs as a straw model or a base set of requirements, and use it as a springboard to achieve the level customization and specificity in business requirements you desire.
If you need professional services to help tailor the requirements to your needs and capture your firm’s unique essence, we can help. Contact Us for Advisory Service details.
But, we have a Marketing Business Requirements Matrix already?
Well, in that case, either you can go with it, or if you need to validate and cross-reference, you will still find our business requirements matrix valuable. After all, the price is less than the one-hour of time spent on the combined brainpower assembled in the room.
What is my ROI?
The Value of Time Spent:
Typically, it takes a team of 5-7 associates to draft the set of business requirements.
- A Product Manager
- Business Analysts
- Marketing Functional Experts – 2 or 3 to represent the broad spectrum of areas.
You can multiply the average hourly cost of the team and the hours spent, and you’ll get the picture.
In addition to the time spent and the associated costs of drafting routine requirements, you also have to consider the opportunity cost.
By quickly adding/deleting/modifying the base set of requirements, it will allow you the luxury of spending the balance of your quality time in conceptualizing and crafting the unique and specific Business Requirements, which capture the essence of your company and its Marketing practices, principles, and perspectives.
Of course, let’s not forget the “Day Job” each of the SMEs (subject matter experts) could be doing.
Instead of spending countless hours stretched across weeks or months, you can have a baseline of requirements in a couple of sittings. That helps you expedite and accelerate the transformation.