Apparel Industry Business Capabilities Model: The garment and fashion industry are undergoing a transformation spanning the entire value chain – from design to distribution, from channel management to customer experience. Business and technology executives are embracing digital and cognitive technologies to remake their companies. The Apparel Industry business capabilities model will serve as a foundation to drive technology enablement and enterprise transformation decisions. The capability matrix is relevant to apparel, fashion, or garment industries.
Apparel Industry Business Capabilities Model Overview:
CIOPages.com Apparel Industry Business Capabilities Model is a pre-built and customizable list of Apparel Industry capabilities.
The Apparel or Fashion or Garment Industry capabilities model is integrated and in-depth and captures the essence of all critical functions of an Apparel manufacturer. The Apparel Industry capability model is a must-have tool for business and enterprise architects to jumpstart capability modeling and business architecture efforts.
The Apparel Industry business capabilities map includes the following formats:
An Excel spreadsheet with the list of Apparel Industry capabilities. The spreadsheet also includes additional worksheets with templates to conduct a capabilities assessment as well as a model to map core relationships.
A PowerPoint format with the top three levels in a nested visualization.
A Word document with capabilities in a multilevel list format.
BONUSES: Several bonus documents about capability modeling and business architecture.
How to use the Apparel Industry Business Capabilities Model?
As a practitioner, you know the value of a business capability model as a foundational business architecture deliverable. The CIOPages Apparel Industry capabilities model (or the Fashion Industry Capability Model) encapsulates end-to-end aspects of the function of an Apparel Industry in a comprehensive, multi-level list.
There are several benefits from business capabilities, including, among others:
- Capabilities function as a common language between business and technology teams.
- Capabilities are an abstraction of business functions and flows that are stable and long-lasting.
- A capability-based roadmap helps focus on capability evolution rather than project execution.
- The relationship between capabilities and systems/applications provides a footprint analysis and can lead to better application portfolio rationalization decisions.
Sample Apparel Industry Business Capabilities.
(The example below is a sliver of the Apparel Industry business capabilities model.)
Apparel Industry Capabilities Snippet:
- Apparel Design and Manufacturing
- Apparel Design
- Inspiration and Ideation
- Historical Analysis
- Trend Forecasting
- Design Ethos
- Inspiration and Ideation
- Apparel Design
(There are several more pillars and additional details in multiple levels of granularity.)
The Apparel Industry capabilities matrix includes a decomposition of up to level 2, 3, and 4 as essential.
The Apparel Industry business capabilities model is a result of the combined efforts of business architects, Apparel Industry domain experts, and enterprise architects. The Apparel Industry capabilities list strives to be mutually exclusive, collectively exhaustive, and individually a whole.
Additional Bonus Deliverables offered FREE of Charge:
FREE BONUS Deliverables General Intro to Capability Modeling Business Architecture Framework Business Capability Profile Template Capability Assessment Template - Criteria and Notes Role and Responsibilities of Business Architecture Leader
- The CIOPages.com Apparel Industry business capabilities model is a digital product and hence, absolutely no returns or refunds.
- A generic capabilities model may or may not fit your needs, or the percentage of which capabilities are relevant will vary widely.
- Sold on an as-is basis and without any implied or explicit warranties
- Consultants and consulting firms who want to use it for their clients have a different pricing model.
- The sale is for the model only and does not include customization or implementation help.
- Please review our standard terms of service.
Need Customization Help?
What are Business Capabilities?
Business Capabilities describe “What” business does. Business capabilities act as the foundational building blocks in business architecture as they are the solid components and stable entities to model a company. There is a lot of information on capabilities at Capstera.
What is the value of a Business Capabilities Model?
- A well-structured business capability model aligns business and technology.
- A company-wide capabilities matrix provides a common language that bridges the traditional gap between business and IT teams.
- A granular capability model (not too high level) allows for mapping to technology components to understand the functional sufficiency and footprint of applications to meet business needs.
- A company-wide capabilities assessment with regards to strategic importance, underlying process maturity, adequacy of resourcing, and level of technology enablement paints a vivid picture of the state of the enterprise.
- Requirements backlog anchored to a capability helps companies focus on capability evolution, not siloed project execution.
- Using capabilities as Lego blocks, business owners, and product managers can communicate their needs better to allow for optimal technology enablement.
- A detailed capabilities list, with logical clusters of related functionality, helps in vendor evaluation and selection.
- A capability view helps you identify conflicts, overlaps, and redundancies and zero in on the weak areas to develop a roadmap to evolve the capabilities.
Will a generic business capabilities map fit our unique needs?
The goal of CIOPages.com business capability maps is to meet or beat a threshold of 75-80% relevance. There is always that 20-25% that may need to be modified and customized to capture the unique essence of your enterprise. Also, having a pre-built capability reference model helps in a) not missing out on the core and distinct business capabilities and b) spend 80% of your time on the 20% of the capabilities that make you who you are!
But I’ve seen this entire Capability Map depicted as a few boxes. Why so many Capabilities?
The problem with some of the mickey-mouse capability maps is that they are too high level and are nothing more than a few boxes and arrows that can become Wall Art.
For a capability to link strategy to execution, and to bring about functional enablement at a feature/function level, a well-structured and deeply-decomposed business capability map is essential.
Managing hundreds of capabilities – writing capability profiles, assessing the capabilities, conducting a gap analysis between the desired state and current state of company capabilities, and anchoring backlog items to capabilities – is a complex task, and it may benefit your firm to have a capability modeling software.
Can you help us customize the business capabilities model to our enterprise needs?
We are glad you asked! Yes, of course. Our domain and functional experts can contribute to take these sample business capabilities model and customize to your needs.
With a full-fledged capability reference model as an accelerator, the work will be fast, efficient, and effective.
Contact us for Advisory/Consulting Services.
Why should I pay?
The domain knowledge and intellect that went into constructing the capability models is very high. The cost is less than 2-hours of time of a low-priced consultant. Or perhaps the price of pizza lunch for the team to brainstorm and whiteboard the enterprise business capabilities model.
Consider the ROI: A) The countless hours you will save by starting from a straw model. B) The time saved due to the straw model covering 75-80% of your needs. And c) the value of focusing on what makes you unique rather than work on the entire list of corporate capabilities.